Friday, May 22, 2015

Skateboard Cake

Celebrating Rohit's 13th bithday

When kids are young they like one type of cake, huge :) those are the easy days! any good cake from the store works fine. But once they're grown up they want something special for the birthday, something personalized, something that looks different. So when my son asked me to make something special for the birthday, I googled for my options:) and I was amazed to see all the fondant cakes that people make. Anyways, My son is into skateboarding these days, so I decided to make a skateboard themed cake for him.


Yummy Marshmallow Fondant

I made marshmallow fondant, that is really easy to make. The store bought ones doesn't taste that great, so it's worth a try!

The measurements are
Miniature Marshmallow, 8 ounces
Powdered Sugar, 1 Pound (approximately)
Vanilla essence, 1 tsp (or any preferred essence)
Water, 2 tbsp
Canola Oil, 2 tbsp (recipe calls for shortening, but I didn't have any... and oil worked out fine)
Food color(per requirement)

(you'll need some corn starch to dust the board while rolling out the fondant)

In a large bowl mix together marshmallow, water and oil. Microwave it till all the marshmallows are melted, stirring every 30 seconds or so. It takes about 2 to 3 minutes. Then take the bowl out and mix in the Vanilla essence. Mix it well, then gradually add in the powdered sugar. This will be very sticky, so using a silicon spatula for mixing is helpful. And always keep some extra powdered sugar that you might need. Knead it till it becomes pliable and easy enough to manage. The mix should be a little harder than the pizza dough consistency. For coloring, take a portion out and knead in the required food color.

 

Preparing the fondant decorations :)

I printed out some images that I liked, then cut it out using a exacto knife. I even use that knife to cut out the fondant after I rolled it out. you need to have all the designs ready before assembling. And it's easy to manage if you keep them on parchment paper.  

Once the design cutouts are ready, all you need is a steady hand to cut the fondant and place it on the cake. I used water to glue the pieces together and spaghetti for the two small sticks. Here I've cut the cake to resemble the back of a skateboard. And I choose the red backboard because it's my son's favorite color :)

No comments:

Post a Comment